Wednesday, August 22, 2012

JBLM

Anyone who is from WA has always been aware that McChord AFB and Fort Lewis are just a part of our state.  We knowingly or unknowingly drive by them all the time.  Well, for anyone who has not been informed yet, the two are one now...they are joined together and it's one big dysfunctional family!

When Ben and I met I never in my 24 years of life set foot on either base.  He took me on base for the first time not too long after we started dating and I was SCARED.  He didn't know that because he thinks I'm just so cool and calm, but my hands were sweaty.  Anywhere that I have to go through a line and give my ID and people have guns, I always think I'm going to get arrested for something I don't remember doing.  Customs is my only real example....and going to court to fight a parking ticket, which I won, if you cared to know.

After "acting natural" and making it through the front gate, I felt like I was in a world inside a world, like the Truman Show.  There was restaurants, houses, a grocery store, banks, gas stations, shopping, gyms...everything you needed..You never needed to leave if you didn't want to, and if you were ok with some of the really stupid clothes they have in the BX you never needed to go to a mall...that's their version of a department store, Walmart, Target, etc.

It's a whole new experience.  They even have a golf course and camp grounds to go camping and jump in American lake...who knew!?

Well, as time went by and Ben got me 30 day passes here and there so I could come see him with my own vehicle, I became more confident in that I truly am not a fugitive and the people at the front gate could care less if I go through or not.  I spent time "site seeing" what is to be seen on base, getting to know his work station a bit, and enjoying the dorm life before we got married and moved in together.  I was an outsider but I was learning to become a part of this vast community.

After getting married and getting my own stickers to my own car and a military ID I have ventured onto the base a bit more.  Doctor appointments, gym time, bringing snacks to Ben when he's at work, it was all fun!
I felt like I made it into a secret club and I was special to get on this base that I once upon a time never cared to see.  Though I hate driving out there and chancing seeing people I don't care to run into, it's actually pretty cool when I go, plus no tax is really nice, especially with the not so awesome paychecks...it's like going to Oregon but not wasting all the gas to get there...(Oregon is cooler though)

I've always had a bad taste in my mouth when it came to military people.  For all of us civilians in WA who have experienced the obnoxious, offensive, disrespectful young boys and girls that think they are men and women because they wear a uniform and they made it through basic and tech school, we've been tainted with a false idea of what the military is.  I always said if that's who is fighting for my freedom then we aren't safe.  I was wrong, these people regardless of their immaturity or not go overseas to fight our battles for us and many never come home...Now that I face the possibility of that, although my husband chose a pretty safe military career (THANK YOU JESUS AND BEN), I respect them so much more and hope and pray for these people to find their place in life and live it to the fullest.

  I have come to my peace with it....Humans are humans, no matter what title they claim or who they say they are...at the core of us all, we have the same tendencies of being complete fools...and young military men in general, they have a lot of growing up to do and let's be there to help them do that, instead of bad mouth them and leave them to their own demise.  Those out there that say "it takes a village" usually are the first to eat your words and not help out when needed, and these people need help and direction.

I always had that thought in my head that military wives were these overweight, non-working, stay at home mom's who think they are entitled to their spouse's paychecks and really nice TV's in a base duplex.  While I have met A LOT of them, there are way more of the really awesome, helpful ones who are in the exact same boat as you.  We are learning the ropes, we are here to help and support each other and not cause issues, and we work our butts off take our jobs seriously whether that be at a work place or being a stay at home mom, or both!

(Now after that 3 paragraph rabbit trail I will continue on topic)

So stepping on base has granted me some new eyes to see.  While the military has a reputation for a reason, because of the flaws, it's a pretty cool structure...and even though I am not the most patriotic or politically driven person and would rather cut off my arm than pay taxes or let the government tell me what to do, I have been humbled to see and meet these men and women who sacrifice so much to protect this country that hasn't necessarily treated them all that well.

We have it good for sure, don't get me wrong, but when you break down the finances and benefits etc of a military family, they make WAY less than the civilian counterpart...it is a sacrifice to choose this line of work, and when you meet the men and women who do it for the RIGHT reason, you realize the sacrifices are very real.  I'm happy I met one and he believed in me enough to make me his life partner...he saw I could handle the battles and the pains that come with this life even though I still doubt it, but now we get to go at it together.  He really changed my mind about what the military is all about.

P.S.  that doesn't mean I won't kick and scream sometimes when it seems to ridiculous and too hard to handle...I'm still learning.  So if you hear me say I hate it...just hug me and get me a cupcake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment